Thursday, September 08, 2005

Tree Gnome


It's true, gnomes are pretty cutesy. But I'm kind of attached to this one in my neighborhood. For one thing, it was already sitting in a big old maple tree when I walked my now eighteen-year-old daughter to her first day of kindergarten. Then there are the little surprises occasionally hidden alongside...A freed book, complements of BookCrossing , and once--at the beginning of the war in Iraq--the gnome held up a sign: "Wars are not healthy for gnomes and other living creatures". Last year my daughter celebrated the long awaited World Series Championship of the Boston Red Sox by giving the gnome a little Red Sox pennant to hold. And finally, he reminds me of all the freed gnomes in 'Amelie'--I wonder if a postcard bearing his picture has been sent to anyone? Consider this a high tech postcard.

2 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Piper said...

Every single time i visit portland i always go visit the tree gnome. I think of Amelie every time i see him. He is absolutely brilliant!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I gave him a clown friend many years ago, left to me by my grandmother. Around the time you made this post in fact. I am sure the clown is long gone now, but he still had his redsox pennant at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home